3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2009 8:35 AM by phoffmann

Using LD agent to gather server inventory

Rookie

At our company we own systems manager, but not server manager.  We'd like to still use landesk to gather inventory from the servers in our environment.  Is there a recommendation out there regarding how an agent should be configured to specifically gather inventory from servers as opposed to workstations?  I imagine that some services might want to be disabled to control for possible unexpected reboots and software installs.  I also have concerns regarding the amount of load that may be put on the server during an inventory gathering.

Anyone have thougts on this?

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: Using LD agent to gather server inventory
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Well - for a start, if "all you want to do" is really just inventory, make sure you've got a cut down, minimal agent configuration for your servers.

Depending on what you want/need to monitor, you could make life easier/harder on yourself by enabling/disabling software scanning / SLM (i.e. - monitor / don't monitor executables for SLM, send/don't send product definitions) ... a fair few settings here that can move you either way.

The devices in question being servers, I'd suggest you simply use the provided scheduler to make sure they scan themselves during a "quiet period" (I agree, it's not the best of ideas to run a full, heavy scan during the main working hours, for one) .

Does this help you?

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using LD agent to gather server inventory
            Rookie

Paul,

Thanks for weighing in.  So, what I'm hearing is that there is not a "recommended" configuration for servers that is standard from Landesk's perspective.

Your suggestions make sense and I'll give them a try.

Any part of the client that you would specifically recommend NOT installing on a server?

• 3. Re: Using LD agent to gather server inventory
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

There's BKM's on how to deploy agents ... but a BKM on the agent configuration is somewhat a white elephant (we HAVE talked about it several times), as the plethora of options are there for the extremely diverse needs and wants of our customers.

So - it's really down to "what you need it for", and that's a an answer as diverse as the customer base is really .

I hope that puts it into perspective why things are as they are. For specific advise, you can get in touch with your ESP (as they'll know you, your environment, and what you want to get done).

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead