4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 10:25 AM by ahe

Server out of disk space

Rookie

i haven't been in there for awhile, but my core server is running low on disk space.  What are some directories i can clean up to free up space without doing any damage.

thanks for the advice.

• 1. Re: Server out of disk space
          Employee

C:\Windows\Temp usually gets a lot.

Also the ldscan folder (in \\server\ldmain) has an errorscan folder, and possibly a storage folder that can both be removed.

Other than that you'd probably want to find out where your space is being used.

• 2. Re: Server out of disk space
            mrspike SSMMVPGroup

One thing to watch for is what patches are you having downloaded.

Go into "Download Updates" and make sure you only have "For detected definitions only" selected.

You can delete items in the patch folder and then run a download, those patches that are still needed will re-download, though any patch jobs you have running could fail until the downloading completes.

Another location to consider nuking files from are is the IIS Logs, they are located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1

I find these get pretty big.

• 3. Re: Server out of disk space
              zman Master

Backup First.

If you never plan on uninstalling OS SPs/Patches http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290402

IIS log files can kill you . C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles

remove any *.dmp files

Remove any old user profiles.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/folrep.html will tell you where to start.

• 4. Re: Server out of disk space
                ahe Expert

Hello,

check in LDMAIN and LDLOGON directories for old log files.

Sometimes (depends on inventory scanner settings, I forgot...) you'll find tons of old huge inventory scanner logfiles.

Another "nice" place for old logs is the below ldmain\ldscan\ErrorScan or ldmain\ldscan\ErrorBigScan...

In ldmain\landesk\files you can find a lot of *.pmf files from the started console too.

Regards

Axel