8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 8:48 AM by trent

My lab keeps PXE booting...

Apprentice

Hello my fellow LD users....

I just had a quick question about PXE booting: I have several labs that I must clone and re-clone often so I always have a PXE rep deployed on my subnet somewhere. I also have the boot order on my lab machines set to boot from PXE first...which makes it easier to provision my machines remotely. My problem is that when some of the lab machines get rebooted, they often boot into PXE even when that particular machine is not scheduled to be provisioned.

Is there a way to determine, other right-clicking on every single machine in question in the LD console and going to "scheduled tasks and polices," to see if there are any provisioning jobs that are still active for all of my machines?

I have checked some of the machines that are doing this to see if there are any unfinished provisioning jobs listed but there are not. So I am not sure why they are booting into PXE.

I have also tried putting my PXE rep machine into the PXE holding queue (which i confess I don't fully understand) but some machines still boot into PXE.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

jeff

• 1. Re: My lab keeps PXE booting...
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

I'd say "yes" here ... you can run queries against the database.

This is just a "quickie" (I need to run off into a meeting), but I think you should be able to query the scheduled tasks tables to find tasks which aren't "completed" (since the status codes are just numbers) ...

I reckon it should be possible, yes, but would require some hacking around the database to get the SQL right.

Alternatively, if you just want a list of tasks that a device is part of, that should be VERY simple (this could be potentially a sufficient response for you, as - say - if a device is part of "some patch deployment" and "Install Image X-001" then it's pretty obvious what task to look at) .

... how comfy are you with SQL / can you query the database directly at all (or are you faced with an overly protective DBA)?

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: My lab keeps PXE booting...
            Apprentice

Only a guess, but you may have a dormant task sitting on the PXE Rep

The following procedure will need to be followed on each PXE Proxy

• Make note of the computers MAC address.
            • Remote Control PXE Rep
            • Open the following file: %program files%\landesk\pxe\system\pxeconfig.xml
            • Delete the machine from the file.
            • Restart PXE Service
            • 3. Re: My lab keeps PXE booting...
              Apprentice

hey Trent....

thanks for the reply.

So i opened up the pxeconfig.xml file on my PXE rep and it looks like there are several machines listed...for example:

- <PXECONFIG>
              - <Lease>
              <<macaddr>XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX</macaddr>
              <<zone />
              <<bootimage>x86pc/undi/provwin/startrom.0</bootimage>
              <<tftphost>128.xxx.xxx.xxx</tftphost>
              <<config>XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX</config>
              </Lease>
              - <Lease>
              <<macaddr>XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX</macaddr>
              <<zone />
              <<bootimage>x86pc/undi/provwin/startrom.0</bootimage>
              <<tftphost>128.xxx.xxx.xxx</tftphost>
              <<config>XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX</config>
              </Lease>

What exactly do i delete? Everything between the <lease> tags? or just the Mac addresses?

Or can I just delete the entire pxeconfig file? Will LD create a new one?

Thanks so much for the help.

jeff
              • 4. Re: My lab keeps PXE booting...
                Apprentice

Hi Jeff,

Delete the lines between and including <lease> and </lease> for the problem machines

I hope that makes sence?

Regards

Trent

• 5. Re: My lab keeps PXE booting...
                  Apprentice

Thanks again, Trent.

So I only need to edit the pxeconfig.xml on the PXE rep. I noticed that file on my core....do I need to edit it there too?

Thanks.

jeff

• 6. Re: My lab keeps PXE booting...
                    Apprentice

Hi Jeff,

I just edit the files on all PXE Reps. If your core is a rep, than its file would need editing

• 7. Re: My lab keeps PXE booting...
                      Apprentice

Thanks, Trent....that seems to have done the trick.

• 8. Re: My lab keeps PXE booting...
                        Apprentice

No problem, at this stage i would like to thank NetworkD/Sparxent for the original solution!!