5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 10:30 AM by jan.buelens

Image Deployment Blue Screen

I am trying to upgrade our base image to XP SP3 from XP SP2 with the latest patches.  Everything works great with my current image on SP2.  I tried updating the current image and also starting with a fresh image of XP SP3 and updated all the patches and software that need to be included in the base image.  I downloaded a new Sysprep for XP SP3 and I ran the reseal after choosing mini setup.  I was able to run the "Sysprep Image" script and I renamed the .gho file after the initial boot so it would match my deploy script.

When I go to deploy the image, ghost is able to image the machine, but once the machine tries to boot into Windows, it Blue Screens really quick and then reboots.  I get into a cycle and can't do anything at that point.  Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?

• 1. Re: Image Deployment Blue Screen

What is the blue screen code (aka stop code)?

You need very good eyes to see the stop code. Blink and you've missed it. If all else fails, you'll need to disable auto-restart so the machine stops on the blue screen rather than reboots. You do that by changing a registry value called autoreboot in HKLM\system\ControlSet001\Control\CrashControl. Set it to zero. Only, the registry you need to change is the one inside your image, so this takes some doing.

Here's how I would go about it:

1. At the time the machine is about to reboot into mini-setup, force it back into PXE and select Managed WinPE.

2. When WinPE comes up, open a command prompt and type following:

reg load HKLM\system1 c:\windows\system32\config\system

3. Now type regedit. Your image's HKLM\system hive is now visible as HKLM\system1. Browse to HKLM\system1\ControlSet001\Control\CrashControl and change autoreboot to 0.

4. Reboot The machine should now stop on the blue screen.

All of the above is just what it may take to find the blue screen stop code. But maybe you already know it. If it happens to be the common garden variety 7B, we know what's going on: mass storage drivers. Does your target machine happen to be SATA? And your source machine IDE?

• 2. Re: Image Deployment Blue Screen

thanks for the reply.  I just took my image that I had backed up before I syspreped and restored it.  I then went to properties on My Computer, then went to the advanced tab. I clicked Settings on the Startup and Recovery section.  I then unchecked automatically restart under the System Failure section.  I resyspreped my image and pulled it down.  I can see the blue screen now.

First, I get a message that says "Autochk Program not Found - Skipping AUTOCHECK"

Then my blue Screen appears that says:

Stop C000021a {Fatal System Error}

The Session Manager Initialization System Process terminated unexpectedly with the status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000)

The system has shut down

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Image Deployment Blue Screen
              ahe Expert

Hello Jeff,

I found some hints here:

After you install Roxio GoBack (included with Norton System Works), and attempt to start your computer, you may receive an error message similar to ...

• 4. Re: Image Deployment Blue Screen

Unfortunately, that was not my answer.  I saw the same post.  What I didn't realize is that the Hal files change from XP SP2 to XP SP3, and it was trying to inject the incorrect HAL files to each image.

• 5. Re: Image Deployment Blue Screen

Google the blue screen message and you get thousands of hits with hundreds of different ways you can get this error, from broken drivers to bad cables to corrupted files, malware and dodgy 3rd party services... Looks like you just found yet another way.

If you will forgive me for making a bit of propaganda, you could probably have saved yourself a bit of trouble by using halconfig (part of the HII toolkit).