4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 10:04 AM by macaddict

Deploy packages in this task even if they were previously deployed

Apprentice

Hi all,

I'm trying to get some clarification as to what this check box actually does (or is supposed to do)...

1. What is the difference between checking this box vs. re-starting a task and selecting "all devices" under the Schedule these devices: drop down menu?
      2. When this checkbox is checked, it seems that even after a PC has successfully received the task, it tries to re-run it when the PC remains in the "Successful" group. Seems to keep re-starting the task after 8 days.  Is this by design?
      3. If a scheduled task was originally started with this box checked and the PC is not part of the task anymore, will it try to re-run it?
      4. If a PC successfully gets a policy deployment and later (let's say 3 weeks) I want to re-install the software on that PC.  When I re-add the PC to the policy task, will it re-install the software if this checkbox is not checked?  If not, how can I keep the ability of re-installing the software when the PC gets re-added to the task but also prevent them from getting re-install automatically?
      5. If a PC failed a policy task (either it was unable to download and hash files, the installation returned a non 0 error code, will the PC try to re-run the task after X number of hours/days?  Does checking this checkbox change this behavior at all?

Push deliveries are not an option due to the high number of laptops users disconnected from the network.  Most of our PCs get their installations via the LANDesk Management Gateway.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Deploy packages in this task even if they were previously deployed
          Apprentice

Anyone have any ideas?  The only thing that I have been able to find in the documentation regarding this option is this:

We now allow user to Reapply Policy - Added a checkbox in the Scheduled Task Properties page to tell this task to always allow a reapply.

from the SP3 readme file...
          • 2. Re: Deploy packages in this task even if they were previously deployed
            Apprentice

no one?  not even the LANDesk folks?

• 3. Re: Deploy packages in this task even if they were previously deployed
              WiseGuy Apprentice

If I remember correctly the "Deploy packages in this task even if they were previously deployed" has the effect of allowing you to install the same LANDesk Distribution Package more than once using a "Run Once" policy.

Take the following scenario:

- You push out a Distribution Package using a Policy Based Delivery method that says the package is required but only run once.

- A laptop is not connected when the push portion of the job is run.  This laptop installs the package the next time it is connected using the Policy.

- A couple of weeks later a new version of the application is released and you reuse the Distribution Package.  You use the same Delivery Method (with the  Required-Run Once setting)  to push out the same Distribution Package (note the actual exe or msi is different but the LANDesk Distribution Package is the same).

- The laptop is again not connected to the network when the push is run.  In this case if you do not select "Deploy Packages in this task even if they were previously deployed", the updated package will not install as part of the Policy as the determination will be made that the Distribution Package has already been installed. Note that if the laptop had been connected when the second job was run, the Push portion of the job would install the updated package.

Basically when the Policy installs the package it adds the GUID of the package to the local database indicating it has been installed.  When you use the same distribution package in the futuer, the GUID is the same and the Policy will not run when a delivery method uses Run Once setting as it sees the package has already been installed.  Sometimes you will want that, other times you won't.  Hence the option.

Hopefully that helps clarify what that setting does.

• 4. Re: Deploy packages in this task even if they were previously deployed
                Apprentice

Ernie, Thanks.

Basically when the Policy installs the package it adds the GUID of the package to the local database indicating it has been installed.  When you use the same distribution package in the futuer, the GUID is the same and the Policy will not run when a delivery method uses Run Once setting as it sees the package has already been installed.  Sometimes you will want that, other times you won't.  Hence the option.

I was under the same impression hence I started checking the box so that I could have the ability to re-deploy the task in the future if needed.  However, what I found is that if the box is checked and the PC has successfully ran the SWD package (and the PC is sitting in the "Successful" group), it gets re-installed automatically every 8 days or so.

To get around this, I went back to leaving the box unchcked.

Now, if I leave the box unchcked, I believe that if I restart the scheduled task (selecting "ALL") so that the PC is now sitting in the "Pending" state, it does get re-installed.