4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 12:41 PM by egarlepp

Upgrade from 8.8 to v9: Any advice on best method?

Apprentice

Hi,

I've read the BKM but wondered if anyone had any advice from actually doing the upgrade as to whether to do

1) an in place upgrade

2) a fresh installation and reapply the database

3) a fresh install with a new database. just start from scratch basically

if 3 is a popular one is there a way to dump everything apart from the devices themselves? i don't want to lose the devices but am happy to rebuild queries, distribution packages, OSD scripts etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

• 1. Re: Upgrade from 8.8 to v9: Any advice on best method?
          Apprentice

Hi,

If the name of the new core server is the same name that the old core server the device reappear in the database as soon as the inventory scanner is execute on the device.

Regards.

• 2. Re: Upgrade from 8.8 to v9: Any advice on best method?
            egarlepp Employee

In the past i would say a clean install, but with the amount of work LD has done with the upgrade process you can expect no issues with an in place upgrade... Unless your existing core has other issues, then a clean is the way to go..  Me personally, i prefer always a clean install and a fresh DB, but that is more work up front, with export and import.. generally less work in the long run though from experience..

Odd that you mention save the devices and lose the queries, packages, etc...  That is the opposite most admins want. The reason being is that the systems are dynamic and will be scanned in at the next time.   The thing that you need to do no matter(well no need with inplace upgrade) what method you choose is to move the certs over to the new core and the old systems will scan in, plus a DNS forwarder.  ;-)

• 3. Re: Upgrade from 8.8 to v9: Any advice on best method?
              Apprentice

Thanks Eric,

Actually the reason I want to keep the devices is that I have a hundred or so that are not being used at the moment but they do have an agent on them and this way I can track them. If I start with a new DB I'll have to rescan the machines which is a lot of work as they are in a store room.

I've got 600 queries and over 600 packages in the DB but probably only use 50 of each regularly so I thought it might be easier to start afresh without all the "baggage" of 3 years worth of data.

So you normally start afresh and then export what you need from the old DB?

Thanks

Steve

• 4. Re: Upgrade from 8.8 to v9: Any advice on best method?
                egarlepp Employee

Ah.. Makes sense.  Yeah, i do a clean install and use Database Doctor from MP.  Database Doctor, from managed planet, allows you to export computers to .scn files to do exactly what you want.  It is a purchasable app, but it has other functionality as well that could help..    If you don't use the app, i woudl imagine that keeping the DB is the only way..