1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 14, 2010 3:24 AM by ShaunB

Querying via Parent - Child Relationships

Apprentice

Hi there,

I am currently working to develop our Configuration Management module within LANDesk.  Basically what I want to be able to do is publish a new query on a shortcut bar to allow our users to search for Configuration Item instances based on some query criteria.

I want our engineers to be able to search for all Configuration Items (regardless of their 'type') via one query style search.  The parent business object is 'Configuration Item' - under this is listed our Configuration Item types - under which are the Configuration Items themselves.  Something like this:

Configuration Item

|

|

+     Desktop

+     000001

+     000002

+     000003

+     Laptop

+     000001

+     000002

+     000003

I want a search that will allow me to select a type and an asset number in order to locate the Configuration Item record.

So in the query criteria a users would select 'Type': Desktop, 'Asset Number': 000001 in order to pull out the CI record.  We do something similar for our Incident module.

In the query designer I can only select a single Business Object to query on - I figured using the 'Configuration Item' parent I might be able to drill down into the structure further and search the child elements but I am having limited success.

Is this possible?

Thanks!