3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 9:01 AM by Wintermute

LANDesk getting slow, please help

Apprentice

are there any tools i can run on the core server to speed things up again? deleting a device from LD can take up to 5 minutes and opening up inventory is similar. We only have 1000 devices so I'm a little unsure why its become so slow lately. core running 8.8 SP3.

i was wondering if there any file caches or anything that i can delete?

• 1. Re: LANDesk getting slow, please help
          Employee

Steve,

The problems you are seeing are usually related more to a slow database than the core. What type of DB are you running and what are the specs? (RAM, CPU, etc)

If you are running on a SQL installation with other databases, you may be seeing slowdown due to taxing of the SQL server itself. If you are running the included MSDE installation, you should check your database size (physical size on the disk) as well as how much RAM you have on the core. The SQL database for 1000 clients will need around 2gb of RAM just for SQL alone, on top of your core requirements.

Hopefully this helps - you can also review the SQL Tuning and Performance Guide: http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2356 to get an idea of what we require for database performance.

• 2. Re: LANDesk getting slow, please help
            Apprentice

Hi Thanks for getting back to me.

It is running on SQL 2005 and is a vmware virtual machine running on an HP Blade but has 4GB RAM and 2 CPU's dedicated to it.

• 3. Re: LANDesk getting slow, please help
              Employee

Steve,

4gb of RAM and two CPUs should be able to keep up with the load, but there is also disk performance to look at as well as the fact that virtual machines don't offer the same performance as a true physical box - if you check the SQL tuning guide, it shows how to measure the performance of your SQL server to see if you're meeting up with spec.