6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2011 7:13 AM by Vadim

How can i manage ESX Server through LANDesk 9 ?

Rookie

My ESX Servers got discovered through unmanaged device discovery. How do i install Landesk Agent in the ESX server or how do i manage the ESX Server?

• 1. Re: How can i manage ESX Server through LANDesk 9 ?
          Employee

Currently, LDMS 9 has support for discovery and basic inventory of ESX servers, but we do not support loading an agent on to the ESX server itself. To discover and capture the machines in LDMS 9:

In the core server console, go to Configure - Services, and then the OS Virtualization tab.

Put in the root password for your ESX server. If you have more than one server with the same root pass, this will work for all. If you have multiple servers with different passwords, this will need to be changed between each discovery of the ESX server.

Run an Unmanaged Device Discovery scan, with only the option for 'Discover Virtual Hosts' checked.

Once the ESX machine has been discovered and is showing in the UDD tool window, you can right-click the item and there will be an option to Insert into Database. The insert to database option will only move the machine to the DB if the root password was configured correctly in the first step.

Once the device has been added to the DB, it will show up in the Network Tree under Virtual OS Hosts. You will get a basic inventory of the machine with a list of the guest OSes it's hosting.

Because ESX server uses a specific brand of Linux and because it's really a virtualization shell rather than a true 'OS', there is no management option for the ESX server itself.

• 2. Re: How can i manage ESX Server through LANDesk 9 ?
            Apprentice

Hi,

Thansk for the information regarding the way to inventory the ESx. But could you explain how it's works exactly?

Trough SSH? Should we enable SSH root access on the ESX? (disable by default).

Or should we enable the web access? (also disable)?

Should we open some port into the ESX firewall?

And the last version of esx 4.0 U1 is supported?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Lionel

• 3. Re: How can i manage ESX Server through LANDesk 9 ?
              Employee

Hi Lionel,

This is done via root access yes, so if you don't have that enabled, the discovery and inventory option for the ESX servers won't work correctly. I believe all versions of ESX will work with this process, as we are simply doing data collection rather than installing anything to the ESX machine.

• 4. Re: How can i manage ESX Server through LANDesk 9 ?
                Apprentice

Hi,

OK I have been able to discover my ESX trough UDD. The device is correctly added into the "Virtual Hosts" folder into UDD.

But Now, when I click "Move to Inventory Database" nothing happens. The Server still in UDD and nothing appear into the Virtual OS Host in the network view.

How I can debug this? Log? Any idea?

Thanks & Regards

UPDATE

Apologize, the root password was wrong. Mispelling...

Regards

Lionel

• 5. Re: How can i manage ESX Server through LANDesk 9 ?
                  Employee

The move to database function will fail if the root password is not correct or we cannot actually log into the machine using the root credentials specified. You need to put in those credentials into the core console under Configure - Services- OS Virtualization. There will be a place there to enter the root credentials for this server. Give that a try and see if it helps.

• 6. Re: How can i manage ESX Server through LANDesk 9 ?
                    Rookie

Is it allowed to use none-root account with read-only rights to ESX web access for ESX hosts inventory? root account is not permitted for inventory tasks.