1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 2:10 PM by cyberdemon

Help with Office 2007 package setup using LANDesk 8.8 sp3

cyberdemon Apprentice

Hello LANDesk guru's,

Ok, so I've followed/read this:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2126 <-best known method...o2k7

and here is my delemma/problem if you will....

I need my package to do exactly this:

\\fqdnServer\share\officefolder\setup.exe /config \\fqdnServer\share\officefolder\ProPlus.WW\config.xml

and the reason for this is: if you follow the Best Known Method for Deploying Office 2007 with LANDesk 8.8, then you will be prompted on the client side, with all the available Enterprise install options (which is exactly what no one wants the end user to determine if they want to install..say, OneNote) and this is a bad thing.

Image1.jpg

Unless, I'm missing something in the document from Josh Nicols or I overlooked a step, then this will not work for me....thus why I need my install of Office 2007 to be TRULLY silent (meaning no choices for them to choose from)

This is why I need something in the .exe package that either inserts "/config \\fqdnServer\share\officefolder\ProPlus.WW\config.xml" to point it the only thing I want them to install silently, or a different way of doing it.

I've tried putting the "/config \\fqdnServer\share\officefolder\ProPlus.WW\config.xml" in the Install/Uninstall options in the command line, and when I deploy the package, it fails and states "failed to copy all files or packages....something error"...

It's possible in some error log or log file, the reason could be determined and then fixed...but then I'd need help with fixing this as well.

Currently, i'm getting this install to work with a .bat and a push method, and my .bat has the "/config \\fqdnServer\share\officefolder\ProPlus.WW\config.xml" defined, and this seems to work pretty good.

But, i'm getting an immediate "failed" if I try and Policy the thing for Portal pulling and then it never executes my .bat file ( it copies it to the sdmcache/packages folder) but doesn't execute it with the Pulling method....and you can simply just run the bat file locally in that directory where it copies to, and it will start the Office 2007 install just fine.

so, something weird or something I'm not understanding is underway....

Any help, suggestions would be great.

• 1. Re: Help with Office 2007 package setup using LANDesk 8.8 sp3
          cyberdemon Apprentice

Ok,

So I may have caused my own issue here. Apparently, when you modify the .bat file or .bat package file if you will, it changes the hash of the package...and the idea to check the log file came to me from another discussion thread...so I checked C:\programfiles\landesk\ldclient\data for the log file last updated....looked it over and it mentions this:

Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:58:23 Downloading file 1 of 1 from '\\(servername)\packages\Office_2007\setup.bat'
          Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:58:23 The file \\(servername)\packages\Office_2007\setup.bat (3 levels) was not in the TMC cache.
          Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:58:23 The file \\(servername)\packages\Office_2007\setup.bat (3 levels) was not in the TMC cache.
          Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:58:23 Downloading file to C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\packages\Office_2007\setup.bat, attempt 0
          Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:58:24 DownloadFile returned 0
          Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:58:24 ..\AdditionalFiles.cpp(234): (8DAC4027): Downloaded \\(servername)\packages\Office_2007\setup.bat did not match the hash, expected 8Bv8k9SPfKgNO1sqZ+s0Bg== actual Yxmj5k3/0bXSc0+rkKVndw==

SO....I reset the package hash, deleted my task, re-created it (just in case) pointed to the package (.bat file) and tried both my push and my Policy/Portal pull and they both seem to work now.

If you have any insight on how to get the .exe package to work with my required /config \\servername\share\folder\proplus.ww\config.xml within the package, that would be great as a backup method.

I hope this may help someone else as green as I am at this.

Cyber