10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2010 12:42 PM by vivithemage

Where to begin? OSD with 9.0 and XP PRO SP3?

Rookie

Where should I go, if I want to start building up an image using Landesk 9.0? I am not finding very many good step-by-step tutorials. I am very interested in the Hardware Independent imaging, because we've got 6+ different type of desktops/laptops out there, we would like to consolodate them into one image.

• 1. Re: Where to begin? OSD with 9.0 and XP PRO SP3?
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Hi there.

Are you talking about "how to build a good XP SP3 image"? Or more about the "Now that I have the image, how do I use it with LANDesk?" side of things?

For the image, there's not really any ONE suggestion, as both HII and non-HII have their benefits, as well as the "do I keep apps on the image" vs "do I keep the image as clean as possible" schools of thought. It's all down to your personal needs.

If you clarify, we can try to help you out some, but if it's about "how to best build an OS image" it's likely that we'll need to point to outside sources, since that's not a conversation with a singular "right" answer, and a whole plethora of "it depends" in it.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Where to begin? OSD with 9.0 and XP PRO SP3?
            Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking more towards, how do I actually build up the image with Landesk, as well as how do I deploy it?

We have, basically, 3 types of images that we'd like to have hardware independent.

• 3. Re: Where to begin? OSD with 9.0 and XP PRO SP3?
              EMiranda Expert

You're still lacking information that we need to help you.  When you say 3 types of images, do you mean 3 images for 3 different peices of hardware? or 3 images that serve different application for different roles?

My recommendation when trying to consolidate images to a universal HII image is to start your image from scratch.

Lay down Windows XP SP3, update it and then configure the image to meet the needs that all 3 of the orginal images can share.  Anything that is not common you can worry about that after the image is layed down with software distribution or provisioning templates.

Once you have your "common" image, you can sysprep it and then use LANDesk 9.0 HII features to inject the drivers into the image as it is layed down to work on all your different hardware platforms.

Here is a document on how to capture your image - http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2435

Here is a document on a quickguide for HII - http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-7945

HII Imaging is a beast to configure, setup and perfect, but once it is done it makes your life much easier

• 4. Re: Where to begin? OSD with 9.0 and XP PRO SP3?
                Rookie

We have about 9 desktops/laptops with different hardware, and three types of image packages we'd like to make. I was starting through your guides you linked, and already ran into a problem with creating the capture windows PE image. When I enter the credentials, I get an error : Current user(ID = 3) does not have permission to access LDMain.

This is a test machine, not on the network, only has a single administrator log in. I've tried using it, plus computername/administrator, or workgroup/administrator, same error.

• 5. Re: Where to begin? OSD with 9.0 and XP PRO SP3?
                  EMiranda Expert

Those permissions are not referring to the test machine, but the username/password that you typed in during the creation of your OSD script.  If you are on the domain make sure you have domain\username

we have created a service account to do these type of activities.

• 6. Re: Where to begin? OSD with 9.0 and XP PRO SP3?
                    Rookie

Could you clarify? I don't even have a script created yet...let alone an account to access a script.

• 7. Re: Where to begin? OSD with 9.0 and XP PRO SP3?
                      EMiranda Expert

When you create your script, you have to specify a user account that has access to the imaging tool \ shares.

See screenshot - if you are capturing an image you need to create a script first.

Untitled.jpg

• 8. Re: Where to begin? OSD with 9.0 and XP PRO SP3?
                        Rookie

Yeah, that's what I did, but I used the local machine, since that is where I want the image to go to, and that is where the imagew.exe is. But it gives me that error still.

I used administrator and the password, tried a few variations of that, workgroup/administrator, computername/administrator, same error.

I am not using a share, beyond this PC at all.

• 9. Re: Where to begin? OSD with 9.0 and XP PRO SP3?
                          EMiranda Expert

Ok,  I think I see your issue.  You do not want to capture the image to the source machine you are imaging, that will not work.  You have to point the captured image to a different location.  Preferably a image share you create, either on the core or somewhere:  For example \\servername\ldimages.

You also want to have the imagew.exe in the same place \\servername\ldimages

That should get you moving along..

• 10. Re: Where to begin? OSD with 9.0 and XP PRO SP3?
                            Rookie

That worked great, thank you very much!