5 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2010 7:27 AM by phoffmann

Detection concerns in SWD

Apprentice

I've created an installation for Adobe Reader 9.3. I've attempted to add detection rules in. I set it up like this:

Detect by: File Version

File Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

Min. File version 9.3.0.148

however when I push this out, the users that do have reader 9.3 are getting prompted to uninstall the product.

any clues why the detection isn't working?

• 1. Re: Detection concerns in SWD
          Apprentice

I tried the exact same thing and it did not work for me as well. Hope to see an answer because it is a problem when a machine that already has 9.3 gets hit with the update because it prompts them to run a repair.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Detection concerns in SWD
            Apprentice

Has anyone found any solutions on this?

• 3. Re: Detection concerns in SWD
              Apprentice

I'm going to bump this one.

Running into the same problems. I remember in 8.8 the detection page was only used for the dependent packages (http://community.landesk.com/support/thread/3431?start=0&tstart=0). i'm guessing it's the same in 9.0 but the help file has changed and says the detection works for the main package.

anyone care to enlighten me (again)? :-)

PS: seeing the logs makes me think the help file is wrong:

Mon, 03 May 2010 16:41:46 The package cutepdf 2.8 x64 install was detected as being installed and will not be processed
              Mon, 03 May 2010 16:41:46 None of the dependent packages needed to be processed

...package gets installed...

• 4. Re: Detection concerns in SWD
                Apprentice

Can we get a response to this please?

• 5. Re: Detection concerns in SWD
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

I would suggest opening this as a support call for the time being.

Once we can duplicate what package you're installing (and how you're trying to do it), we can more easily determine if there's a flaw in thinkg, a defect in our own logic, or anything in between - but there's not enough detail at this point that I'd think it'd be possible to guess either way.

That would help the most here, I think, as things seem a trifle 'too general' at this point, and it'd help a low being able to look at the specific issue, I think.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead