3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 2:47 AM by jasoncadman

What's the difference between Current Assignment vs Latest Assignment

Rookie

Assignment fields are confusing me. The data seems inconsistant in the system. Can anyone give me information on when to use or not use the following?

1. Current Assigned Group and Current Assigned Analyst
      2. Current Assignment.Group.Title and Current Assignment.User.Title
      3. Latest Assignment.Group.Title and Latest Assignment.User.Title

In the beginning, I used 1. Now I am tending to use 3 more often because 1 and 2 don't seem to consistently contain data.

We are using LDSD 7.3. I'm primarily concerned with Incident Management. I'm hoping that Problem and Change processes/data work the same way. Please let me know if this is not the case.

Thanks, Pamela

• 1. Re: What's the difference between Current Assignment vs Latest Assignment
          Apprentice

Pamela,

Lastest assignment is the best field to use.  Current assignment is only populated if the record is not at and end state (such as "closed").  Latest assignment remains populated perpetually.

The reason that both exist is that Latest Assignment was added after Current Assignment, so Current Assignment is there for compatibility reasons.

Also, Latest Assignment exists at the "Process" level, so it is present for Incident, Problem, Change, Call, HR, etc.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

~Eric Cook

LANDesk Software

• 2. Re: What's the difference between Current Assignment vs Latest Assignment
            ITSMMVPGroup

The Current Assigned Group and Analyst attributes (if we are talking 7.3) are very useful as they have a calculation behind them which allows you to display in the window those fields and this was a very welcome addiiton in 7.3.  Previously you had to be very careful on process design with copy to fields or use queries.

Personally I like current assignment rather than latest as I then know when something isn't assigned as the field(s) is(are) null. When a process is closed, *in general* it shouldn't be assigned to anyone for action (again personal view).  It's handy to have both 'versions' of these assignment attributes.

It would be REALLY handy to have a scheme definition of what all fields do [hint] For example Creation Date vs Raise Date, Response Level on process are questions that come up from time to time as to what these do and many explainations are available here on the community, but having a product document that is kept up to date would be neat.

• 3. Re: What's the difference between Current Assignment vs Latest Assignment
              jasoncadman Expert

Hear, hear Dave on the scheme definition!