3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 11:06 AM by Stu McNeill

TPS Tools HDConfig Transfer Taking Very Long Time

Apprentice

I am currently in the middle of testing the upgrade process on the testbed system of ServiceDesk, going from 7.2.2 to 7.3. I am passed the MDM database upgrade, have run the TPSTools Fix Application Settings, Applied the license etc. and am currently on running TPS Tools again for the remaining bits and pieces and on the HDConfig Transfer it appears to have gotten stuck. TPS tools *appears* to have hung, currently it's taking well over 3 hours. Does anyone know if it's supposed to take this long or whether or not I have encountered a problem and any ideas on how to get round this issue if I have?

The size of the database is only about 1.3gig so I cannot understand why this is taking so long. The installation is taking place on a virtual server using Windows Server 2003 x64.

Any help that can be provided would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Anthony Mitchell

• 1. Re: TPS Tools HDConfig Transfer Taking Very Long Time
          Stu McNeill Employee

Hi Anthony,

The HDConfigTransfer tool really shouldn't take more than a few seconds to run so I'd try running it seperately and see if you get any error messages.  To run it alone open a Command Prompt and navigate to the Touchpaper.Framework\Bin folder and execute the tool with the following syntax:

Touchpaper.Tools.HDConfigTransfer.exe <DatabaseProvider> <ConnectionString>

Both parameters can be found in your tps.config file, for example:

Touchpaper.Tools.HDConfigTransfer.exe MSSQLServer server=localhost;uid=sa;pwd=password;database=itbm

The tool will return the word "Starting..." while its processing and if there are any problems it should at least print some information back to you with an error message.

Good luck!

• 2. Re: TPS Tools HDConfig Transfer Taking Very Long Time
            Apprentice

Stu,

Thanks a lot for that, worked perfectly and provided full output in the command line. Took all of 7 seconds to successfully complete. As a suggestion, might it be a good idea in the future upgrade manuals to include the command line options where available??

Many Thanks for your help,

Anthony Mitchell

• 3. Re: TPS Tools HDConfig Transfer Taking Very Long Time
              Stu McNeill Employee

Hi Anthony,

I'm glad that got it sorted.  Ironically the upgrade guide did use to explain the command line parameters for the tools - then we added the GUI interface!  I'm not sure what stopped the HDConfigTransfer tool working for you, hopefully its a one-off or something very specific to your database/environment.

For future reference you can run any of the tools directly and most use the same parameters.  If you run them from Command Prompt without any parameters they will print out usage instructions.

Thanks