1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2012 3:22 PM by mrspike

Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.

Rookie

If I can get this issue figured out winning the lottery would become second in my greatest accomplishment list.

Have LANDesk 8.8 running on Windows Server 2003.

Have 1000+ Laptops at a high school.

Laptops do not have admin rights.

Need to distribute MSI files and have them install automatically on machines without admin rights.

I have gone through software distribution guide and set up a share (http://localwebserver/sharefolder).

I have distributed a file to a local server and it went through the steps and put the msi file in the LDClient\sdmcache\landesk folder but it did NOT install.

How do I make it so the MSI file installs automatically on machines?

Also, when I try to do this on student machines how do I get them to run without admin rights? 

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
          mrspike SSMMVPGroup

If you use LANDesk to "Push" or use via a "Policy" or "Policy Supported Push" (PSP), it should install on the local system without anyone needing Admin rights.

Lets look at a "Push" first, go to "Delivery Methods" and create one called something along the lines of "Push - Silent - No Reboot"

• Under Network usage, select "Use download from source..."  OR "Use run from source"    Do NOT use Multicast at this time...
          • Under Network Usage > Download, for now, uncheck everything and set timing  to 0 for both
          • Under Reboot select "Never Reboot"

Leave the rest as is for now, save it.

Try that.

If that does not work, look at your package....

Under Package Information, you should be pointing to your MSI (Are you using HTTP or UNC?)

Under Install Options you can add a command line if need be, you cannot add /qn and that is there by default (I am assuming you are on LD 8)

Under Additional files, you might need to add all files, folder and subfolders EXCEPT the main .msi

Let me know how that works and we can go on to Policies

• 2. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
            mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Left this out.... Schedule the package, use the new delivery method (Push > Push Silent No Reboot) and run it.

• 3. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
              Rookie

Thank you for your quick response!!

May need to back up and try to explain a little more.  I'm trying to use a standard MSI file off of a CD.  When I try to run the MSI on a machine where the MSI is located it wants me to go through the install steps etc...  That's fine because I assume once I figure this out I can create an MSI file that will install automatically with the options that I want.  You have to excuse me, I'm very new to this and I could be way off in assuming this will even work!

I went into delivery methods and created the "pushsilent-noreboot"  I did the settings you said.

When I schedule a push I don't see anything about "pushsilent-noreboot" it just says push.  Is that how it should be?

So I assume that's how it's supposed to be so I schedule the task and it fails.  "Selected delivery method and or package requires features that are not provided on the agent installed on this target.. update to latest version..."

I looked at the package it points correctly.  It is Http://localserver/share

I actually did a multicast and it put it in the directory so I think my share is set up correctly for the packages.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
                Rookie

Also when I create a new delivery method and call it Pushsilent-noreboot I do not see it in the delivery methods under schedule task.  how do I do a scheduled task for that pushsilent-noreboot that I created?  Seems the only option I have is push and policysupported-push.

• 5. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
                  Rookie

If I do a policy supported push I do see the delivery method that I created with your settings.  I schedule that task with the MSI file I want and it just says "Failed to install Package."

I can see my machine working but it shows nothing other than the hard drive light going.  I don't see it attempt to install on my machine at all outside of that.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
                    mrspike SSMMVPGroup

To when you create the new delivery method, go to Delivery Methods > Public Delivery Methods and click on "Push"

Now right click on "Push" and choose new delivery method

Proceed to try it again, you will have to giove it a slightly different name, perhaps add v2 at the end for now.

I think another issue you are having is trying to do this off of the CD, I could be wrong, but it you can, copy the entire CD to a share on a server, you can go to your core, go to the ldlogon folder and create a subfolder called "packages" and then create a new folder in that for your CD.

• 7. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
                      Rookie

Sorry I should have worded that better, the MSI is not on a CD, it was from a CD.  The MSI file is now on my network share.  I can browse to that MSI file and run it from any machine fine.  I just can't get LANDesk to push it and install it to clients.

• 8. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
                        Rookie

Ok I found where the push option that I created was.  Can I install any MSI file by doing this or does it have to be a package of some sort?  Can I take any MSI file and push it?  Also when I push it where does it go?  I would like it to start the install process automatically but that doesn't seem to be happening.

• 9. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
                          Expert

Deploying MSI's from LANDesk 8.# does not really work as expected because LANDesk uses its exe to call the msi therefore some switches will not be passed to the MSI. In most cases, you need to use a batch file install to start the msi. In order to install an msi, Windows executes msiexec.exe to run the msi.

look at it like this:

What you see in the distribution package

app.msi /qn

what landesk sees in the distribution package

landesk.exe /qn app.msi

what the OS sees

landesk.exe /qn msisexec.exe app.msi

Ok, a little over exagerated, but if you are trying to pass any type of switch to the msi (eg: TRANSFORMS=) then landesk can't do it. That is why a batch file is needed. There are many articles on this site on how to install an MSI from LANDesk and many suggest using a batch file distribution package.

If you want to just run the msi and have the user perform the remaining steps, it might work ok.

From what it looks like you are doing, you can use the default policy to deploy and scheduled task with distribution package to have it automatically install. If you create your distribution package and then right click on it and schedule it to deploy, in the scheduled task, you will see the distribution type is a policy. Below that, there is a drop down list that you can select the various types of policies. The default is probably the one you want. by default, LANDesk uses the System account to perform the install so the logged in user does not need to be an Admin.

• 10. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
                            mrspike SSMMVPGroup

We have not had issues deploying .msi's in general in our location, but have used .bat files in few cases to get around complicated issues, if he is able to get it to work in the cmd window, it should work in LANDesk.

William,

I created this pdf for you showing you how I created a package for Adobe Reader, compare it to how you are doing it and not the remarks I made on the 2nd page about getting this work first by manually installing via a CMD window

James

• 11. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
                              Rookie

So I need to open up a command prompt and browse to the msi file and run it?

• 12. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
                                Rookie

I open up command prompt and run the msi file and it asks for the usual things a program does.  "Next" "choose directory" "Next" etc...  That is just having the MSI file alone without any additional files directly off of my shared folder.  So I know the MSI is good.  I try to push it from LANDesk and it just says "Failed to install package" within a matter of seconds.  I think I'm missing something.  Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

• 13. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
                                  mrspike SSMMVPGroup

I emailed you my contact info, give me a call

• 14. Re: Distributing/Installing an MSI file - No admin rights.
                                    mrspike SSMMVPGroup

This issue has been resolved

1 2 Previous Next