1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 5:18 AM by phoffmann

Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current

Rookie

Guys,

I'm concerned about the state of our Landesk installation. I have sorted our client list by 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' and a lot of them are upto 3 months old.

I have confirmed that the clients are online and have landesk installed.

Can anyone tell me whats going on here? It's alarming that this has happened and I am starting to wonder if that invalidates our entire software management procedure.

Can anyone explain also why last updated by inventory server differs from last hardware scan date and last software scan date?

• 1. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
          mrspike SSMMVPGroup

The first thing I would do is restart the inventory service on core.

Then, on a client computer, run the inventory from the GUI, do you see any errors? Does that work?

If that did not update it, create a shortcut on your desktop to the Inventory Scanner item in the start menu, now open the "Properties" of that shortcut, at the end of the command line add:

/F /SYNC

It should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDISCN32.EXE" /NTT=yourcore:5007 /S=yourcore  /I=HTTP://yourcore/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /V /F /SYNC

save, run it, did this do anything?

if not, from a cmd or run line run this:

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDISCN32.EXE" /V /F /SYNC /O=C:\mycomputer.scn

That will create .scn file on the root of your system, now copy that file to the ldscan folder on your core, it should process.

Let us know your results, also what version and SP of LD are you using?

• 2. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
            Rookie

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I'm afriad I'm a little bit of a newbie at this so be patient with me.

the core is rebooted weekly.

The version is 8.8 SP3.

How do I run the inventory from the GUI? I assume you mean from the client computer start menu however we do not install the start menu icons on any machine to minimise user tampering.

If this was to work for one client I'm worried that the only fixw ill be to do this on every client which isn't acceptable simply becuase we dont have the manpower to do it.

Thanks for your help so far.

Lee

• 3. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
              mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Lee,

In asking you to try this, it is to narrow down where the issue is, so if we can narrow it down on one system, the fix should be able to be made to all systems.

Since you do not install the GUI on the end user system run this from a cmd window:

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDISCN32.EXE" /NTT=yourcore:5007  /S=yourcore  /I=HTTP://yourcore/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /V /F /SYNC

replace "yourcore" with your core's name, so if you core's name is "ldcore" it would be:

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDISCN32.EXE" /NTT=ldcore:5007 /S=ldcore  /I=HTTP://ldcore/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /V /F /SYNC

• 4. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
                Rookie

Hi Guys,

sorry for the delay, I was dragged onto another project so didnt have any time for this.

I tired the suggestion today however the client did not update the record in landesk.

Any further suggestions?

• 5. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
                  Joshni SupportEmployee

Did the client display any kind of an error when running the inventory scan?

Here a re a few things to check.

1. Is the LANDesk inventory service running on the core server?  If not start it.

2. Are there any errors on the client when you run the command above that James supplied?

3. Are there any errors in the application log on the client?

4. Are there any files in the program files\landesk\managementsuite\ldscan\errorscan directory on the core?  If there are files in this directory how many new files are you seeing each day?

Josh

• 6. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
                    Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

In response to your questions:

1. Is the LANDesk inventory service running on the core server?  If not start it. - Yes it's started

2. Are there any errors on the client when you run the command above that James supplied? - Not that I saw, the command didnt bring any error in the command prompt window.

3. Are there any errors in the application log on the client? - Nothing relating to Landesk (There are group policy errors however this isnt related to our landesk installation)

4. Are there any files in the program files\landesk\managementsuite\ldscan\errorscan directory on the core?  If there are files in this directory how many new files are you seeing each day? - Yes - It varies but the most i can see is around 9 SCN files.

I've also checked the client and can see the services running and the 3 landesk services started.

• 7. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
                      Joshni SupportEmployee

The /V in the inventory scan command should make the inventory scan verbose.  Are you seeing the progress bar window displayed at all?

Is the client and core able to ping each other?

Maybe try running the same inventory command again but use the IP address of the core instead of the host name?

Josh

• 8. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
                        Rookie

Ok I actually watched it this time and the scan completed according tot he GUI that appears when running the command.

This time the last software scan has now updated on the core server. I'm concerned that this wasnt obeying the schedule which i beleive is scan every say.

I'm also not fully convinced that this will work on all clients so more testing is needed.

How would I implement a fix on an enterprise level?

• 9. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
                          Joshni SupportEmployee

It could be that the inventory service was hung and the restart of the core resolved the issue?  to verify you could just find a computer that has not updated yet and monitor it again in the morning to verify that the scan has ran.

You can schedule the scan to run on a computer or group of computers by right clicking on the device in the console and selecting the option to do a inventory scan.

Or if you want to schedule the scan to a large group of computers you can right click on the inventory scan script that is located in the manage scripts section and select schedule.  Once the scheduled task has been created you can highlight the group of computers you want and drag them down to the task and schedule it.

Keep me posted on the results. Let me know if you have any questions.

Josh

• 10. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
                            Rookie

Hi John,

I didn't restart the core server and iim not sure it is a core server issue as a good 75% of our clients are reporting in correctly.

Does the inventory scan option from the core server make the client perform a full hardware and software scan? i thought i read this only performs a quick scan.

So on the assumption its not the core server I need a blanket way of forcing all clients to update and to fix an issue it may be having.

Regards

P.S. we are only using inventory services. we are not licenced for anything else.

• 11. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
                              mrspike SSMMVPGroup

If a client has not done a "full" inventory scan in x amount of time, it will force one on the client, so that is what you are seeing.

Any time you are having inventory issues that are widespread you should at minimum restart the inventory service on the core, even if it looks like it is running, sometimes it is still in a hung state.

Also, to force a full scan you can go to manage scripts, right click on "new custom script" give it a name like "Force Full Inventory Scan" and then under the section:

[MACHINES]

add this:

REMEXEC1=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\LDISCN32.EXE<qt/> /NTT=%server%:5007 /S="%server%" /I=HTTP://%server%/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /NOUI /F /SYNC /NOCD

• 12. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
                                Rookie

where is the manage scripts area? I dont see it so assume its not on an inventory only licence.

Our core server reboots weekly to avoid these problems.

regards

• 14. Re: Clients 'Last Updated by Inventory Server' is not current
                                  Joshni SupportEmployee

Sorry I had to do some research on this.

I guess you do not have access to managed scripts section in inventory only license of LDMS.  But there should be a button on the toolbar in the scheduled task section that will allow you to create a scheduled task that will run a inventory scan on the clients.

Josh

1 2 Previous Next