7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 8:47 AM by jmac

Software Deployment Portal

Rookie

Using software deployment portal... Scheduled a task for a msi files that worked in the past and it will not show up on the client machine.  The old job is still there for available download but it will not show the new job.  Is there a way to refresh the portal?  I tried clicking on "check for add software" but that doesn't work.  Also I'm trying to push the msi files to new clients and they will not show up on those either.  So maybe it's something that I'm missing on the core.  I recently updated the agents.  If anybody has any ideas please let me know.  Thanks!

And i'm using Policy as the delivery type.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Software Deployment Portal
          Expert

Which version of LANDesk are you using?

Are any packages showing up or are they all missing? Is anything else not working as expected such as running queries or anyone having problems loggin in eo the LANDesk console?

If this is happening on only 1 machine, or maybe just a few, it could be that the local database that the agent uses is corrupted. It happens now and then.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-3245

If this is more of a general issue across many things, I've had this happen before and stopping and starting the LANDesk COM objects usually fixed the problem. Also check the accounts that LANDesk is using and make sure they are not locked.  Worse case, bounce the server. It could be that something is "stuck" or there is a database or connectivity problem.

• 2. Re: Software Deployment Portal
            Rookie

Using 8.80.0.249

Can get in the console fine and can run other scheduled tasks such as updating the default windows config on clients.  I can remote to clients and everything else seems to be working.  If I schedule tasks to use the soft dist portal and they don't complete then I delete the scheduled task is there a way to refresh the client to say there are no pending jobs?  Basically, is there a way to refresh the client to updated jobs?  If I just delete the scheduled task will the client know that the job is no longer pending?

I try to schedule a policy using dist portal to 10 different machines and none of them are picking up that a job is waiting.  So, I can choose a new client and try to distribute an msi using the dist portal (a task that has worked in the past) and the client does not recognize it.  I have used this same scheduled task in the past with the same MSI file, now it does not work.

Sorry if this is confusing.

• 3. Re: Software Deployment Portal
              Rookie

Few more notes...

In scheduled tasks I can create the new task.  Add a client.  Start the new task.  It says "Policy has been made available".  But when I go to the client and open software deploy portal the job does not show up.  I can click on "check for additional software" and it searches but finds nothing.  Somewhere along the line it's confused.

• 4. Re: Software Deployment Portal
                Expert

Have a look at this thread. I go over the entire scheduled task/software distribution process in detail.

http://community.landesk.com/support/message/38658#38658

From that thread:

For the machine(s) that failed, you may need to perform a software inventory for them to report in that they need the task to run again. At least, from what I have discovered, after running an inventory (from the agent or the script from the server) followed by the scheduled task running on its interval (server side scheduler service) and a policy sync (agent side, either regular schedule or open the portal), the task will or will be available to run again. I know this doesn't make a lot of sense because you can see the machine failed in the scheduled task. My guess, mainly because I never really bothered to confirm it 100%, is that the record of the failed/success of the software install is included with the software inventory. The agent stores a record of all of the distribution packages that it ran (successfull or not) in a local database (LDClientDB.db3) located in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\Database". I would assume that the contents of this database is included with an inventory when it is run. The database stores the ID of the distribution package (not the scheduled task) and marks it as successful or failed. Deleting this database will cause ALL policies to run again regardless if they were successful or not, but only do this as a troubleshooting step. Recreating the distribution package will generate a new ID and will cause the same effect but only for the 1 distribution package. If you delete a distribution package, you must also delete its associated scheduled task(s) first.

Also, check your agent settings and look at the inventory and software distribution settings to see how often the agent runs them.

• 5. Re: Software Deployment Portal
                  Rookie

How do I run a software inventory?  Is that just the "inventory scan"?  If so I tried that and it always says "lost contact"

More often than not I will get a visual studio error on the core server and the LANDesk scheduler service will stop running.  "Unhandled win32 exception occurred in schedsvc.exe (8608) and I have to restart the service....  but that happend before and when this actually did work.

Geting past all of that I created a new dist msi package.  Created a new delivery method.  Scheduled a new task.  Choose a new client.  And it still does not show up on the client's software depoyment portal.  For some reason the core is not reaching a client that I know is working because I'm sitting right in front of it and I can remote to the client and do other things to it.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Software Deployment Portal
                    Rookie

I'm thinking there has to be a way to refresh the client.  A machine I tried to use the deploy portal on a week ago still says there is an msi file that needs to be installed.  There is no scheduled task for this anymore and the file does not even exist.  It just doesn't seem to be communicating.

• 7. Re: Software Deployment Portal
                      Expert

That is the first thing you need to fix. If the scheduler service isn't running, nothing is running properly. If it stops, nothing works.

To run an inventory, select a machine or more, right click and then select inventory scan. If you want, you can create a scheduled task for it in the scheduled task window, its actually a button you can click and it will create it for you. Then just drag the machines to the task. If you go into the script window, you can do an advanced edit on the inventoryscanner script and add a /F to the end of the machines_win line to make it a full scan. Save it as something else in the default directory and it will be added to your list of scripts. You can then right click it and schedule it.

See below.

[MACHINES_WIN]
                      ;--- assumes that ldappl3.ini is in same dir as the .exe
                      REMEXEC1=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\LDISCN32.EXE<qt/> /NTT=%server%:5007 /S="%server%" /I=HTTP://%server%/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /NOUI /NOCD /F