Policy based distribution is a pull from the agent and not a push from the server. So the policies are scheduled and run by the Agent. It sounds like your Agent it configured to run policies after login and there is a delay of up to an hour after the logon event happens. Check your Software Distribution | Policy options in the agent to confirm.
Basically, the Scheduled Task/Software Distribution process runs like this.
- Scheduled Task is created and started at which time the associated queries are run to populate it.
- The Distribution Package is made available to the agent(s).
- Agent runs it scheduled Policy Update and retreaves a list of Distribution Packages it has/has not already run and then runs them.
- The Scheduled Task reports the Return Code to indicate whether the Distribution Package was successful or not, but this does not update whether or not the Agent now registers the Distribution Package was successful.
- Agent performs an inventory and updates its records in the LANDesk database which also includes success/failure of the Distribution Package.
All of these updates run on the scheduled times based on how your Agent is configured as well as the Scheduler Service on the LANDesk core.