3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 8:24 AM by Jared Barneck

IP address Change slow to update

I was wondering if anyone else was having a similar issue to me. We use a Juniper Nac system at the college, this means when a PC boots up to its logon prompt it gets an IP address from VLAN A. The user then enters their log on credentials, a Junipler supplicant does its job and allows access to the network or not. If the user is allowed to log onto the network it moves into a new VLAN (B) where it gets a new IP address.

When moving from VLAN A to VLAN B there seemes to be no problem updating the IP address but when the PC restarts and goes back to VLAN A it isn't reporting this change to the LD Server.

Does anyone know how Landesk reports IP address change, ie does miniscan.exe run at login or does it use DNS. Also is there a way of forcing a client to report back its IP address regularly?

• 1. Re: IP address Change slow to update
          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

You want to become familiar with Local Scheduler.

You can see your local scheduler tasks on a client with this command:

C:\program files\landesk\ldclient\localsch.exe /tasks |more

Or on 64 bit

C:\program files (x86)\landesk\ldclient\localsch.exe /tasks |more

You will see a task that runs a miniscan but has a Frequency of 600 and a filter of "IP Address Change".

By default, the agent does a miniscan on IP Address change.  Then, if both the IP Address changes and 600 seconds (10 minutes) goes by, it sends another one.

So, in your scenario, I would expect since at Bootup the IP Address changes from to VLAN A's IP, that may trigger the IP Address change a miniscan with VLAN A's IP might be sent. So a user logs in right away (inside the 10 minute frequency), the IP Address changes again to VLAN B, you should get a miniscan approximate 10 minutes after the first one with the new VLAN B's address.

Play with the local scheduler settings and test them out.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: IP address Change slow to update

Hi Rhyous

Thats great information cheers.

Just checked out my local scheduler and there is no setting for miniscan.exe. Could this be a potential problem that I have?

If I set up a schedule for miniscan at just IP address change this should cause a IP adress update at the point of entry into VLAN A and when the user logs into VLAN B is this correct?

Also if the miniscans are running every 10 min on 2000 PC wont this cause alot of network trafic?

• 3. Re: IP address Change slow to update
              Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

A default agent with no changes has it in 8.8 and 9.0, so your agent must have been altered to not do this.

If you create a new agent and you don't make any changes and install that, does it have the proper local scheduler tasks?