5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 7:56 AM by phoffmann

Generate .scn files

Asraf Radzi Apprentice

Is there any way that i can generate .scn files from landesk database so i can copy the .scn files and paste to another database.

• 1. Re: Generate .scn files
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

There's better ways to do what you want to do .

1 - You can use the "/O=" parameter (output) and specify a location\filename for the scan-file to be saved. So for instance "/O=c:\xyz\output.scn" would create a file called "output.scn" in "C:\xyz\".

2 - Depending on the size of your estate, you can turn off "Do Delta" (set it to "0" in the advanced settings of the Inventory service) and enable "Store Scans" (also, advanced settings for the inventory service). This will create a new directory called "storage" under your Core's \LDMAIN\LDSCAN\ directory, where a copy of every incoming scan-file is put.

NOTE -- be careful, this can chew up quite a bit of disc space if you're not careful.

Why disable delta-scanning with this? Simple - delta scans work only if you have an up-to-date mirror of your production DB. It's much easier to just turn off delta scanning + store scans and then simply schedule a full scan across a selection of your devices.

Don't turn to set the settings back though .

Does this help you?

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Generate .scn files
            Asraf Radzi Apprentice

Thanks Paul,

But the database is actually disconnected from LANDesk server. I up the database on other machine. So what i want to do is to only get the computer inventory information from previous database and put it back to my current connected LANDesk database.

• 3. Re: Generate .scn files
              rdittman Apprentice

Has anyone figured out a way to do this?

We are completing a side by side migration from 9.5 to 9.6 and have many devices getting stuck in the "pending unmanaged client configuration" - many of these are laptops that have not been checking in (we do not have the gateway appliance) I was able to get some out of the pending area by running the LDDiscover but this only working on machines that were online. I'd like to be able to export a device .scn from the old core and drop it in the new without having to wait for that device to come online.

• 5. Re: Generate .scn files
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Amagi has pointed out one way to do it - support does have a tool for this, but I think it doesn't get developped beyond LANDesk Management Suite 9.5 anymore.

LDDA (LANDesk Data Analytics) does have this sort of "unscan" function as well as part of the Database Doctor. You can find it here (this is a screenshot from a LANDesk Management Suite 9.6 Core Server):

Hope this helps.