2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 7:10 AM by StephenEade

Problem with Dell Optiplex 780 (BIOS A03)

Apprentice

Hello All

Im having an issue with a new batch of optiplex 780's - since they have updated to BIOS revision A03, PXe boot doesnt work! It works on everything else except these ones! Anyone had any issue like this??

I have spoken to dell, who are saying that the best thing to do is downgrade the BIOS to A01 - but this means booting to the system to run the exe and then imaging - i might as well build it manually!

Any help or thoughts welcome!

(Error message is PXE-E74 error when PXE booting and no F8 menu appears. - PXE-E74 bad or missing pxe menu and or prompt information - have tried the landesk fix for this http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2916 but i am more than confident its not my landesk server as its working on all other models!)

Dave H

• 1. Re: Problem with Dell Optiplex 780 (BIOS A03)
          Apprentice

The problem with the updated BIOS is that the PXE agent has been "updated" - this update means that it could not handle the size of the downloaded pxe menu.  To remedy this you need to remove the items from the PXE list you are not using - Here we use ProvisoningWinPE so we have kept it enabled.

--

FIX:

On the PXE Representative, set the registry keys to 1 for the items that are to be disabled.

• HKLM\SOFTWARE\INTEL\PXE\ProxyDHCP\DisablePredefinedWinPE
          • HKLM\SOFTWARE\INTEL\PXE\ProxyDHCP\DisablePredefinedDosPE
          • HKLM\SOFTWARE\INTEL\PXE\ProxyDHCP\DisablePredefinedLinuxPE
          • HKLM\SOFTWARE\INTEL\PXE\ProxyDHCP\DisablePredefnedProvisioningLinuxPE

--

This is outlined in more detail in http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1434

My thanks to Stephen @ Landesk and James @ Dell for their help in sorting this.

Dave H

• 2. Re: Problem with Dell Optiplex 780 (BIOS A03)
            Employee

Dave,

I am glad to see that you have been able to find a resolution to the issue.

Stephen

1 of 1 people found this helpful