8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2010 9:28 AM by phoffmann

Software distribution across WAN

Apprentice

What would be the best way to deploy software (XP SP3 update) across the WAN?  We tried doing a push with no reboot and obviously that chewed up too much bandwidth.  When I tried to do a push via bandwidth aware distribution it just seemed to hang forever....

Anyone else have this issue?

• 1. Re: Software distribution across WAN
          egarlepp Employee

Have you tried targeted multicast and having the file pulled locally? You can also use preferred package servers to house the files locally.

• 2. Re: Software distribution across WAN
            Apprentice

I have tried using Multicast but I am running into problems with it not pulling the cached installation, it continues to pull from Core...

http://community.landesk.com/support/message/44417#44417

• 3. Re: Software distribution across WAN
              Apprentice

Found somewhere it helps to create the software packages as "Public Distribution Packages" when trying to do hub and spoke installations.

Make sure to use the exact same distribution package (folder structure) for "Seed" and "Peet to Peer" jobs.  Many hours wasted on this.

Different Delivery methods for Seed and Peer to Peer jobs.

Delivery methods: (Created under Public Del)

Seed: (Installed package on 1-3 pc's per subnet)
              Network Usage: Use download from source to deploy files.
              Bandwidth, nothing checked in there.
              Download: no checks, rest default.

Point2Point: (Targeted the other pc's on the same subnets)
              Network Usage: Use download from source to deploy files.
              Bandwidth, nothing checked in there.
              Download: Checked box for Peer download.

Also changed at the bottom, delay between packets from peer to 0, left from source at 1.

Hope this helps. We used Push only, to start with, then later switched to Policy/Push.  But we were installing a new AV to all pc's.  Seeded to a few pc's on each subnet, then used peer to peer to hit all the other pc's, installed to about 10,000 pc's in a week and a half.  Uninstalled old av, rebooted the pc, installed new av, ran some other scripts to cleanup.  We did not specify MDR's though, just picked pc's on each subnet.  Also ran into some issues with the sdmcache on the local pc's only keeping packages for two days, or whatever the default is.

• 4. Re: Software distribution across WAN
                Apprentice

Tried what you suggested and it still appears that it is pulling the installation package from the core instead of the mutilcast rep...  I am really lost....  Here is part of the scheduledtaskhandler log file:

Tue, 11 May 2010 08:11:43 LCQBR7YG41, executing C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdclient.exe /p="\\gso-landesk-02\ldlogon\Packages\Java\jre-6u20-windows-i586.exe" /levels=4 /FileListName="taskmanifest.GSO-LANDESK-02.timco.aero.430.70.ini" /FileListHash="vOY6zLyrJ5qPIpizLbtMOw==" /exe /N /An /L /lanpps=0 /wanpps=1 /cmds="/s AgreeToLicense=YES IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0" /taskid=430 /core="GSO-LANDESK-02.timco.aero:10.114.1.157" /taskname="2 LCQ Workstations JAVA" /pkgname="Java 6r20" /pkgdesc="Java Update 6r20"

I have no clue what else I am missing here....I didn't think this would be complicated.  The joys of LANDesk when it doesn't work or the joys of me not knowing what I am doing LOL

• 5. Re: Software distribution across WAN
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

What you're pointing out is just the original command-line.

That  will always be the same, this doesn't account for preferred packages /  multicasting in any shape or form (and yes, it can be a bit confusing).

Which version of LANDesk are you using? There's a couple of debug options/logs that could be enabled (depending on version) to clarify a bit more as to where a file's coming from.

The "normal" logs will pretty much ALWAYS make it appear as if the file was pulled from the Core, regardless of whether peer download, preferred server or whatnot was used. That's normal (if somewhat misleading).

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 6. Re: Software distribution across WAN
                    Apprentice

8.8 SP2.

That would explain it then.  I am misunderstanding the log files... I hope there is a way I can get a more detailed log file with the version we are currently running.  One strange thing I noticed is that when I did the policy supported push for Peer downloading, I pinged their server and while it was running they were getting 200+ms response times which I figured it was because it was talked to the Core and not the MDR.....

• 7. Re: Software distribution across WAN
                      Apprentice

Hi Paul, im running Version 8.8 and would like to know a little more about the debug/logs you mention.

Thanks

Jeff

• 8. Re: Software distribution across WAN
                        phoffmann SupportEmployee

Here's some information on how to enable X-tracing:

- http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1623

The one (and pretty much of only interest) here for you is LDDWNLD. That doesn't create a log by default, but with the XTracing enabled, you will get an LDDWNLD.XLG (which you'll be able to just throw at Notepad or your text-editor of choice).

This thread holds some examples/information on LDDWNLD and its tracing:

- http://community.landesk.com/support/message/24456#24456

That should help you with the "what to look for" side of things (LDDWNLD is a bit of a "wall of text"-syndrome). Don't be intimidated by it, if you know what to look for (and that thread should help you), it's not that difficult.

The thing to remember is essentially:

- We state what the file is supposed to be downloaded from

- We then state where we ACTUALLY downloaded from.

I suggest you give it a try with a small'ish BAT-file or so, with peer download and/or preferred servers, just so you have a pretty small, controlled package / log-file to deal with .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead