12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2010 2:02 PM by EMiranda

Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE

Rookie

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what the procedure is to deploy an image without having to be on site and push F8.  I know I delegate a pxe server to the holding queue, but that causes every machine that boots to load the pxe menu.  I just want to be able to specify a machine that needs imaged and have it reboot and image with pxe.  At this point, I am using XP, but will be starting to deploy 7 in a few months.  I am using LANDesk 9.

Thank you,

Joe

• 1. Re: Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE
          EMiranda Expert

if you can access the OS and the machine has an agent on it, then vboot is your option.  ALL you would need to do is take your OSD script and schedule it, then drag your machine on top of it and choose start now.

You can also convert your OSD script to a provisioning template and schedule the machine as a provisioning job and then when you pxe boot it will immediatley go into WinPE provisioning and start its task.

• 2. Re: Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE
            Rookie

This answer was very helpful, but could you provide a little more detail.  So for example, I can have the machine do a barebones pxe image deployment by converting the OSD Script to a Provisioning Script within Distribution correct?

Thanks,

Joe

• 3. Re: Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE
              Rookie

Okay, I have this kind of working, but how do you sysprep.  I have tried using an injected script and it will not work.  Is their a way to take the sysprep output from an OSD Script and use it.  What I need it to do is to redo the machine SID and add it to a domain.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

• 4. Re: Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE
                EMiranda Expert

Joe,

if you are doing OSD, then there are two sections you want to look at:

in the OSD edit screen, check this button: Image uses sysprep

Untitled.png

Then go to sysprep options:

Untitled2.png

Now if you already have a sysprep .inf file you put it on your server in a folder: (example: \\corename\images\sysprep)  and then check the box that says "use existing Sysprep file as a template"  then browse to that sysprep.

After this the sub-options will get pre-populated with the info that you had in your sysprep. and you can modify the settings if you need to and then this sysprep will get injected into your image during deployment

or you can just start with a blank sysprep and don't check "use existing Sysprep file as a template" and then populate all the fields with your own info.

Hope this helps a little bit.

• 5. Re: Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE
                  Rookie

I want to use sysprep, but I am trying to deploy through a provisioning template.  How would I get a script that would sysprep the same way that OSD creates one.  I am able to use OSD, but I want to be able to deploy through a provisioning script.

Joe

• 6. Re: Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE
                    EMiranda Expert

its a little different with provisioning.  Ill try to explain

you need to install the script:

go here in LDMS console: click on the Install scripts button

Untitled.jpg

Now browse to your sysprep.inf and give the script a name and/or description and choose import

Untitled2.jpg

Now in your provsioning template choose add action in the Post-OS installation and choose inject script and your imported script will be available in the drop-down menu

Untitled3.png

• 7. Re: Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE
                      Rookie

Thank you very much for your help.  Where will sysprep script be located?  On the sysprep captured image... (Ex: C:\sysprep\sysprep.ini) or do I need to create it somehow manually?

Joe

• 8. Re: Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE
                        EMiranda Expert

the sysprep script source is wherever you want to call the .inf file from.  you can put it on the server, on a preferred server... anywhere.  You want the target to be c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf  because that is where your sysprep.inf should already be so you are overriding that file.

• 9. Re: Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE
                          Rookie

So, if I created a syspreped image then I should just be able to point an injected script provisioning rule to the imaged hard disk.  If I go into console through winpe, I see the sysprep folder, but no sysprep.ini file.  Does it create itself somewhere?  Sorry I am confused.

Joe

• 10. Re: Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE
                            EMiranda Expert

"if" you already created a syspreped image.  then there would be a folder in the image - c:\sysprep.  in this folder there is a sysprep.inf. please note .inf, not .ini.  These are the settings that pass through sysprep to tell it what to do.  The inject sysprep command in the provisioning process is not creating a sysprep process, it is only taking a modified syspre.inf and replacing the one in the image that is in c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf.    This is useful for making changes on the fly to the sysprep process without creating or modifing your image.

Now if you already have your sysprep the way you want it when you created your image, then there is no need to inject a sysprep  during provisioning because it is already there and will do what it needs to do.

There are some good documentation in the Documents section on Best Known Methods for deploying WinXP in OSD and Provisioning.

• 11. Re: Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE
                              Rookie

When I try to use C:\sysprep\sysprep.inf after the deployment I get an error of cannot read user variable.  Is there a way to convert an OSD install to a provisioning template?  I have read every piece of documentation I can find and there is probably a piece of the puzzle that I am overlooking.

• 12. Re: Deploy Image w/o being on site with PXE
                                EMiranda Expert

I believe you having issues with the computername variable.

In OSD it uses %Computername% in sysprep which replaces the %Computer - Device Name% from LANDesk.

In provisioning, i believe this is handled with the action: "Configure Target OS" and check the box "insert unique ID"

Check your sysprep if there is a section that reads:

ComputerName=%COMPUTERNAME%

take the %Computername% out and leave it blank