5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 5:20 AM by phoffmann

How to install LDMS 8.8 SP 2. on Windows XP

Rookie

Hello support Team,

Please advice how to install LDMS Console on Windows XP machines, currently Im using LDMS 8.8 SP.2 in Windows 2003 Server.

Your assistant very much appreciated.

Regards,
      Muru

• 1. Re: How to install LDMS 8.8 SP 2. on Windows XP
          Employee

Muru,

If you access the LDMS 8.8 installation media - and launch autorun.exe

You should be presented with a splash screen with a series of options, one of those will be "additional console".

If you select that option you should be able to install just the 32 bit console on to the XP 32bit machine, for your use. There will be a pre-requisite check that will need to be passed.

The other option is use the web console - that can be accessed here: http://<corename>/remote

Please be sure to apply the console service packs after you have deployed the console.

Regards,

Stephen

• 2. Re: How to install LDMS 8.8 SP 2. on Windows XP
            Rookie

Hi Team,

I have tried install the Console and its working fine in administrator ID. I would like to install for limited user which have remote acces only but when i login using the limited access its hang there forever. I dont want use http://servername/remote.

• 3. Re: How to install LDMS 8.8 SP 2. on Windows XP
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Please note that we recommend that 32-bit console users require local admin rights - things start acting up "funny" if they don't (one example that comes to mind is that the UDD network calls stop working if you don't have admin rights, for instance - purely OS issue). If you don't want to use local admins, please get them to use the Web Console, which is intended for more limited / "broad" users.

Also do please note that - after you install the 32-bit console either through the CD or pointing to the Core Server's install directory - that you need to install the relevant console Service Pack to match the Core.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 4. Re: How to install LDMS 8.8 SP 2. on Windows XP
                Rookie

The Machines im testing is actually have admin rights ,let me explain to you in more details.

The XP machines im testing is already has admin rights( Local Admin rights) , if im trylogin to XP machine use my LANDesk ID (administrator) to login console its works fine but if use LANDesk temp ID(limited Access with remote control only) this giving problem.

• 5. Re: How to install LDMS 8.8 SP 2. on Windows XP
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

I'm still a little confused. Let me see if I get this right.

Since you use 2 users, I'll call them "LandeskAdmin" and "RCOnly" so we can separate them easier.

Now - for the "LANDeskAdmin" user the following is true (I understand?):

- has local admin rights on the Windows-box they're logging on

- has LANDesk admin rights (shouldn't make any difference)

And for "RCOnly" we have the following:

- has local admin rights on the Windows-box they're logging on

- has only got the Remote Control permission.

So far so good?

Then, another question is are you logged into the 32-bit console with the same user as you are into Windows? I.E.: do you...

Option 1:

- Use "LANDeskAdmin" to log into Windows

- Use "LANDeskAdmin" to log into the LANDesk console

- or -

Option 2:

- Use "LANDeskAdmin" to log into Windows

- Use "RCOnly" to log into the LANDesk console

If you "mix" your users, this can cause various oddities in behaviour (as NT-authentication tends to react weirdly here). Sometimes it works, often it doesn't - for consistency I suggest making sure you log into both Windows & the 32-bit console as the same user.

... does this potentially cover the cause of your problem?

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead